-
Christophe Galtier explains how he copied Arsène Wenger’s pre-match ritual
In speaking with France Football, after being named French coach of the year by the publication, Nice manager Christophe Galtier answered questions submitted by his coaching peers, including former Arsenal coach Arsène Wenger. Other than losing, what’s your least favourite aspect of your job and, other than winning, what’s your most favourite part? (question submitted by Arsène Wenger)“I don’t like the 25 minutes alone in my office when the players leave to warm up. I met Arsène at Arsenal and was surprised to see him go to the sponsor’s boxes during the warm-up. He told me that it allowed him to meet people and avoid being alone for 25 to…
-
Christophe Galtier on leaving Lille: “I didn’t want to linger, like at Saint-Étienne.”
In speaking with France Football, after being named French coach of the year by the publication, Nice manager Christophe Galtier answered questions submitted by his coaching peers and explained he feels no regret over leaving Lille after winning the Ligue 1 title last season. Do you have a twinge in your heart when you see your former team play in the Champions League without you? (question submitted by Christophe Pelissier of Lorient)“No. My decision was carefully considered with my wife and my eldest son. When I took it, I knew we would be in the Champions League, I knew I was going to give that up – but my decision…
-
Kylian Mbappé picks up adductor issue as Lionel Messi returns to training
Paris Saint-Germain have this afternoon published a round-up of the squad’s injury situation, notably announcing that Kylian Mbappé is in the treatment room for left adductor pains. His condition will be reviewed against on Friday. Meanwhile, Lionel Messi has returned to full training after recovering from the after-effects of his bout of Covid-19 at the start of the month, as is the case Keylor Navas who tested negative today. Neymar continues his recovery from an ankle injury last year, and is expected to resume running exercises next week, while Georginio Wijnaldum and Juan Bernat are also in the treatment room due to a ligament injury and Covid-19 after-effects respectively. Click…
-
Who should be the starting goalkeeper at PSG?
Paris Saint-Germain F.C, a little known club from France, bankrolled since 2011 by the Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) with Nassar Al-Khelaifi as current club president. With a reported worth of $8billion you would be mistaken for thinking the club had a lack of talent available to them. In almost every position they have top tier talent, including, goalkeeper. Today we’ll be looking at the two big names that PSG have fighting for that number one spot, Keylor Navas and Gianluigi Donnarumma and trying to figure out who we think should be their number one, after all, as fans we know more than the managers, right? Before we get started, it’s…
-
Arkadiusz Milik speaks out over lack of service and being left out against Lens
Speaking with La Provence after Marseille’s impressive 2-0 win at Lens on Saturday night, Marseille’s Polis striker Arkadiusz Milik explained his frustration at being left out of the starting line up and then seeing new signing Cédric Bakambu, who then scored, preferred as an alternative off the bench “He came on on the left and I think we can play together… But it all depends on the coach,” said Milik. “Sometimes I look at the clock, we’ve been playing for 20 minutes and I’ve only received two passes with an opponent on my back. This lack of supply decreases the confidence I have in myself. Together with the coach, we’re…
-
PLAYER RATINGS | Montpellier 3-2 Monaco, Mavididi brilliance wins breathless game
Ligue 1 21/22, Round 22 – 23/1/22 MONTPELLIER – 3 (Wahi 31, Mavididi 31, 91) Jonas Omlin, 6 Arnaud Souquet, 7 – A persistent runner and useful outlet on his flank here and it was he who created the chance for the first goal by pinching the ball from Henrique in the right-back area before carrying the resulting counter. Made the most defensive actions for MHSC with 17. Nicolas Cozza, 8 – Defended clinically and proactively all game and used the ball neatly throughout before creating the winner in injury time with a sharp interception and mazy dribble before slipping in Mavididi. Mamadou Sakho, 6 Mihailo Ristić, 5 Jordan Ferri,…
-
Bruno Guimãraes will decide today on Newcastle move with Arsenal returning
As reported by Fabrizio Romano and L’Équipe, Newcastle United offered €40m for Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimarães yesterday. The move would reportedly quadruple his current salary, which is currently at €220,000 a month. RMC, meanwhile, disagree slightly saying that the bid is at €36m. Newcastle faces renewed competition from Arsenal, however, say RMC. The London club have reinitiated contacts for Guimarães having reached an impasse with Juventus over Arthur Melo, but no formal bid has been made at this stage. The 24-year-old Lyon midfielder’s entourage was initially quiet on their intentions after the offer, as were OL, but L’Équipe report that the Brazilian is considering Newcastle’s offer and is taking time…
-
FEATURE | Morocco’s free-kick wizard Achraf Hakimi flourished in 2021, is he the key piece of PSG’s 2022 puzzle?
This article is taken from the new GFFN 100 2021. The GFFN 100 ranks the top 100 players in French football over the past 12 months, see the full list and read all 100 profiles right here on GFFN. Achraf Hakimi was the key driving force of Inter’s attack for much of last season. The Moroccan dominated the entire right-hand corridor with his lung-bursting sprints and incisive attacking contributions. His seven goals and 10 assists for the season make impressive reading, even when taking into consideration the importance of the wing-back role in Antonio Conte’s set-up. Although he’d already impressed in his two-season loan spell at Borussia Dortmund, this was the…
-
Leeds make approach for Nantes forward Moses Simon
Journalist Ignazio Genuardi reports this afternoon that Premier League side Leeds are among the clubs to have made an approach for Nantes forward Moses Simon. The 26-year-old, who has been with the Nigeria national team this month for the Africa Cup of Nations, has been the subject of a strong push in particular from the team managed by Marcelo Bielsa. Nevertheless, Nantes have no intention of letting go of the forward, who has 2 goals and 6 assists in Ligue 1 this season, and whose contract expires in two and a half years. As a result, Simon is unlikely to move this winter, unless a particularly big offer comes in, such as…
-
Lorient goalkeeper Paul Nardi discovered search for replacement via social media
As reported by Ouest France, Lorient goalkeeper Paul Nardi (27) found out that his club were looking for his replacement via social media before anyone told him he had lost his place. Click Here: The former French U21, who has played every minute of Lorient’s Ligue 1 campaign until now, heard that the Breton side were chasing Yvon Mvogo of PSV Eindhoven before asking the management what was going on. During a meeting, he was then informed by the coach Christophe Pelissier that they were reviewing the goalkeeper position. This is likely a result of his poor performances in recent weeks, particularly against Lille (3-1) and Nantes (4-2). Despite attempts to…